Thursday, October 3, 2013

Prevent Ammonia Burn with Proper Cloth Diaper Care

The following is an email exchange answering a question about ammonia burn. Of course, I have edited out the sender's email address and name. This might be helpful to someone else. Take a look:

I don't think the change in your milk is a factor. It’s likely chemical. The first thing I'd try is making sure your diaper pail/storage is ventilated. Since most diaper pails aren't, I'd use a rubbermaid type storage container with a few holes poked in the lid. Second suggestion would be to take the baking soda out of your laundry powder. Baking soda and ammonia form ammonium bicarbonate which is a skin irritant. Unventilated diaper pails increase ammonia production. If you try those suggestions with no improvement, then add 1 cup of white vinegar to the wash and that will definitely do the trick.

Stacey


On Sep 12, 2013, at 6:33 AM:

> I usually strip them once a week. I wash them in borax/baking soda/zote (very little) before stripping them, but I have been using this powder mix since April and I haven't had any issues until now. I only have the ability to wash once a week so they go in a diaper pail by themselves. My friend recommended me to ask you, I also teach cloth diapering classes to my community but I am at wits end with this issue. Do you think because my milk changed in May (birth to newborn) maybe that's why? Thanks!

>
> On Sep 1, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Bubbybums wrote:
>
>> Hi and thank you for the inquiry!
>> What are you washing your diapers in and how do you store them before wash day? I have a general notion of what's happening so let me know the answer and I'll give you some suggestions. How did you find out about my site? Always curious to learn how people found it!
>>
>> Stacey >>
>> On Aug 31, 2013, at 11:26 PM:
>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> My son, 21 months, is a heavy night wetter. I have tried everything possible
>>> with cloth diapering at night but he seems to constantly get ammonia burn
>>> over a few hours. I currently have him naked on absorbent pad to avoid burn.
>>> My mom has put a disposable on him at night and he doesn't get burn. I was
>>> told to message you and get your advice.
>>> I have disposable diapers, but I have no idea what to do. Also, I strip
>>> diapers once a week, but he is p.t. during day time, so he wears underwear
>>> normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment